Susanne Mueller Invites You To Just Dare To Leap Into The Unknown!
by Diane Wyzga | August 20, 2020 | Guest Podcast, Podcast | 0 comments
Coming to you from Whidbey Island, Washington this is Stories From Women Who Walk. I’m your host and walking partner, Diane Wyzga. Once upon a time in Thune, Switzerland was born a girl in the shadow of a castle. Did this give her a charmed life? Was she luckier than most? Or, did she see life’s challenges for what they really were? An opportunity to show up, say yes, take it on and help others.
I met Susanne Mueller almost a year ago in the Akimbo podcasting workshop. Since then I’ve followed her podcast – Take It From the Iron Woman – and read her engaging blog posts – Susanne Mueller Consulting – full of information, challenge and humor. My friend and colleague lives for taking a challenge to the professional level whether it’s running marathons, competing in an Iron Man triathlon, climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, or skydiving. This is how she coaches CEO’s: in the spirit of professional sport.
I’m delighted to be sitting here with Susanne to talk more deeply about how she’s walked her life and her life has walked her.
00:00 to 2:40 – Intro
2:40 to 6:30 – Running & Marathons
- Inspiration to run
- Born in Switzerland and skied
- Move to NYC: Central Park became like her skiing at home
- Joined running classes and New York Road Runners: to run, to learn better English, to learn native New Yorker English
- Practical tip: in a new community go to classes to meet the local people
- Running is a collective experience
- A moment of doubt became motivation
- Stories lead you to the marathon experience
6:30 to 7:59 – The Swiss Flag Photo
- Proud to be Swiss, first and foremost
- Country, upbringing and marketing
7:58 to 14:40 – Training & Insights
- The experience that took her to marathon
- The marathon begins 1st February when you apply
- Training plan kicks in 1st July
- Mind and body work
- Organized by following the plan
- Executive Coaching is also following a plan
- When should we push?
- Determination and endurance: 1991 arrived in NYC, running coach for 12 years
- Running is the way she lives
- Role modeling as coach
- 26 marathon races – 218 races with New York Road Runners
- How she motivates others and the rewards
- “Thank you, Coach!” How does that feel?
- Sweating together, accomplishing together, supporting together and COVID influences
14:40 to 16:45 – Humanity & Touch
- Running coach is involved in runners’ lives
- Competition and camaraderie with 50,000 runners in NY Marathon
16:45 to 25:24 – Ironman Triathlon
- Falling is part of running
- Injury provided the momentum to sign up for NY triathlon
- Swam the Hudson River
- Lake Placid, NY for Ironman; began as volunteer
- Fears and intuition to risk
- In one day: 2.4 mile swim + 112 bike ride + 26.2 miles marathon
- Signing up is easy; now comes: “I have to do this!”
- How? Training and learning from the best
- Nutrition was difficult
- “I don’t know what to expect; I’m afraid.”
- “Enjoy it!”
- Started the marathon at 4:30 PM -> keep on!
- Standing where Olympic athletes stood
Connect with Susanne:
Here we are, at the end of the road but not the journey. Thank you for listening to this episode of Stories From Women Who Walk with Diane Wyzga and Susanne Mueller. We’ll pick up with Part 2 of Susanne’s dare to leap into life journey next Thursday. Meanwhile, stop by every Monday through Friday for 60 Seconds, Time Out Tuesday, Story Prompt Friday, and every Thursday for longer guest interviews and Diane-On-Mic episodes. You’ll find us on Simplecast or your favorite podcast platform. Come for the stories – stay for the magic. And speaking of magic, would you leave us a nice rating or review on Apple Podcasts. When you return please bring your friends and rellies. You will have wonderful company as we walk our lives together.
Production Team: Quarter Moon Story Arts
Music: Entering Erdenheim from Crossing the Waters by Steve Schuch & Night Heron Music
Editing: Darwin Carlisle & First Class Reels
All content and image © 2019 – Present Quarter Moon Story Arts
About the Guest
Susanne is an executive coach, traveled to 50+ countries and worked with clients from 60+ different countries; she speaks 5 languages. She worked for Swiss Airlines, Swiss Mission to the United Nations, Nestlé, Asian Leadership Institute and teaching at New York University.
Susanne holds an MA in organizational development & leadership, Columbia University, New York, a BA in psychology, Marymount Manhattan College, New York, and the Executive Coaching Certificate, Columbia University, New York.
Susanne climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, completed the Ironman triathlon, and marathon distance races. She is a weekly blogger, a podcaster and author “Take it from the Ironwoman.”
Susanne Mueller & Take It From the iron Women
Diane F. Wyzga, Podcaster, Story Artist * Critical Listening Coach
Steve Schuch & Night Heron Music
Darwin Carlisle & First Class Reels